Office located on the first floor of Town Hall
421 South Main St. Fairmont, NC 28340
Drop box available for payments:
Pay your utility bill in-office or online with debit or credit card
Veronica Hunt, Water Collections Clerk
The Water Department is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with the exception of being closed for lunch from 12:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
- An application has to be completed in its entirety with proof of identification and social security card.
- Premises must be inspected for housing code violations prior to water connection. Inspection is generated by payment of deposit. Deposit fees: homeowners—$75.00; tenants—$150.00. Businesses require a fire inspection ($60.00 and up) before operation can begin.
- Water meters are read on the 12th of each month. Bills are mailed before the 25th of each month and are due by the 10th of the following month.
- A $10.00 late fee is added to the bill after the 10th of each month. If the bill is not paid by the 20th of each month, a nonpayment fee of $35 will be charged and water may be disconnected.
- Failure to pay a water bill three times within a six-month period will require an additional deposit—$30.00 for homeowners and $60.00 for renters.
- Bank draft is available to customers.
- Customers can pay their bill online with a credit or debit card at https://www.paylocalgov.com/fairmontnc/
- A drop box is located outside of Town Hall for customers to leave payments outside regular business hours.
- Tap Fees: Water—$1,000.00—Sewer $1,000.00 plus cost for distance over 35 feet.
- Customers will be required to reimburse the town for any expenses incurred for meter tampering.
Water Rate Schedule
$26.28 - First 1,000 Gallons Water
$34.43 - First 1,000 Gallons Sewer
$24.99- Sanitation Charge per Household (1 roll out cart, limbs & leaves pickup)
$85.00 - Minimum Bill
* Each Additional Thousand Gallons of Water is $3.50 and each Additional Thousand Gallons of Sewer is $4.24. The cost of an additional trash roll out cart is $10.00.
* Double Water and Sewer Rates for Out-of-Town Residents
Water Deposit Refund Policy
The water department requires seven (7) days' notice on intent to disconnect. A request can be verbal or written.
Solid Waste Pickup (910) 628-0064
Hours of Operation: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Public Works Director: Ronnie Seals, 910-628-0064
- Garbage and limbs and leaves pickups are billed on your water bill as one item.
- Garbage pickup is once a week on Tuesdays.
- Garbage should be placed in the 90-gallon container provided by Waste Management and placed outside by the street. Containers should be rolled out by 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning or the night before.
- Back Door Garbage Collection is available for disabled residents.
- If you have a broken garbage container, please call Veronica Hunt at 910-628-9766 to order a replacement.
- Any additional items such as furniture, carpet, etc. will be added to your water bill. Charges vary based on number of items. Please place items in front of your house, not your neighbors or vacant lot so you can be charged appropriately.
- Waste Management will pick up yard debris starting on Monday and finishing on Tuesday, so it is advised to have all yard debris out by Monday morning.
- Limbs shall not exceed 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter and must be placed in one pile at the curb or in front of residence.
- Limbs and leaves should not be mixed together. Leaves must be left loose, not in bags, at the curb or front of residence for the leaf vacuum machine.
- Private landscape companies and individuals are responsible for the disposal of yard debris they generate.
- If you have any questions, suggestions or complaints about your garbage and yard debris service, please call Waste Management at 910-738-2294.
Other Important Information
- City and County taxes on real property should be listed in January. Listing forms can be obtained from the Robeson County Tax Department (910) 671-3060. Senior citizen discounts are based on age and income. If you feel you are eligible, please contact the County Tax Office at (910) 628-671-3061 prior to June 1. The information you will need to apply is a signed and filled out application, proof of income (SSA 1099, W2 form), Disability form must be signed by medical doctor, and copy of birth certificate or driver's license.
- The current property tax rate is 73 cents per hundred-dollar valuation.
- Robeson County bills property taxes on behalf of the town in a combined bill mailed each August.
- Any building, health hazard, dangerous conditions or suspected code violation should be reported to the Town Manager or the Public Works Director.
- A Zoning Permit is required for any repairs, alterations, additions or new construction that will exceed $500 and is obtained from the Town Clerk. The zoning permit costs $35. Also, be advised that the State requires a Robeson County Building Inspections permit for certain repairs and construction. You can reach the Robeson County Zoning and Planning Department by calling 910-272-6521.
- Reservations for the Heritage Center, Fire Hall and Community Park should be made through the recreation department, 628-9883.
Contact information for other residential services:
AT&T new residential service 1-888-757-6500 repair 1-877-737-2478
Spectrum Cable 1-866-874-2389
Duke Energy Customer Service 1-800-452-2777 Power Outages 1-800-419-6356
Waste Management 910-738-2294