Skip to main content

Utility Department


421 South Main Street
Fairmont, NC 28340
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday - 8:00 am - 12:00 noon
Closed from 12:30 pm to 1:00 pm for lunch.

During Business Hours: 910-628-9766
After Hours: WATER or SEWER EMERGENCY ONLY: 910-628-5115

or Via Our Website: Contact Us (     (WILL REPLY THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY)


Public Works Director

Ronnie Seals


WATER DEPARTMENT             910-628-9766

Veronica Hunt 


Kaye Zumbrunnen


Application Process - Collection Process - Please Read

An application has to be completed in its entirety with proof of identification and social security card.

Premises must be inspected for housing code violations prior to water connection. Inspection is generated by payment of deposit.

Deposit fees: homeowners—$100.00; tenants—$150.00.

Businesses require a fire inspection ($60.00 and up) before operation can begin.

Water meters are read on the 12th of each month.

Bills are mailed before the 25th of each month and are due by the 10th of the following month.

Tap Fees: Water—$1,000.00—Sewer $1,000.00 plus cost for distance over 35 feet.

Customers will be required to reimburse the town for any expenses incurred for meter tampering.

Water Rate Schedule

$27.59 - First 1,000 Gallons Water
$36.15 - First 1,000 Gallons Sewer
$25.50- Sanitation Charge per Household (1 roll out cart, limbs & leaves pickup)
$89.24 - Minimum Bill

Each Additional Thousand Gallons of Water is $3.50 and each Additional Thousand Gallons of Sewer is $4.24.

The cost of an additional trash roll out cart is $10.00.

Double Water and Sewer Rates for Out-of-Town Residents

Garbage and limbs and leaves pickups are billed on your water bill as one item.

Water Deposit Refund Policy

The water department requires seven (7) days' notice on intent to disconnect.

This request can be verbal or written.

Collection Process

A $10.00 late fee is added to the bill after the 10th of each month.

If the bill is not paid by the 20th of each month, a nonpayment fee of $35 will be charged and water may be disconnected.

Failure to pay a water bill three times within a six-month period will require an additional deposit—$30.00 for homeowners and $60.00 for renters.

You can pay your Utility Bill at Online Payment Service by VPS ( or you may utilize our Outside Drop Box in the front of our facility. 

Town of Fairmont is not affiliated with is not an approved vendor or partner for the Town of Fairmont.

Using this payment method or any website outside of, may delay your payment being applied  to your Utility Account, in a timely manor.

Town of Fairmont utilizes Chapter 105A. of the N.C.G.S   "Setoff Debt Collection Act". 
NC Debt Setoff Program assists North Carolina local governments with the recovery of any delinquent debts by offsetting debtors' North Carolina state tax refunds and Education lottery winnings.

Solid Waste Pickup

Garbage pickup is once a week on Tuesdays, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Garbage should be placed in the 90-gallon container provided by Waste Management. 

Containers should be at the street by 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning or the night before.

Back Door Garbage Collection is available for disabled residents.

Placing Furniture, carpet, etc. will cause an additional fee to be incurred on your water bill. 

These charges vary based on number of items.

Yard Debris Pickup

Waste Management will pick up yard debris starting on Monday and finishing on Tuesday, so it is advised to have all yard debris out by Monday morning.

Limbs shall not exceed 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter and must be placed in one pile at the curb or in front of residence.

Limbs and leaves should not be mixed together. Leaves must be left loose, not in bags, at the curb or front of residence for the leaf vacuum machine.

Private landscape companies and individuals are responsible for the disposal of yard debris they generate.





The Fairmont Public Works Department tests out the town's brand new sewer flusher truck.
Fairmont Public Works 
























Contact information for other residential services

New residential service 1-888-757-6500 repair 1-877-737-2478
Spectrum Cable 1-866-874-2389
Duke Energy Customer Service 1-800-452-2777 Power Outages 1-800-419-6356
Waste Management 910-738-2294