Skip to main content


Q. Where is Town Hall?

A. Town Hall is located at 421 South Main Street . It is a three story building across from First Baptist Church . Town Hall is open Monday thru Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Q. What is your mailing address?

A. Town of Fairmont, P.O. Box 248, Fairmont, NC 28340

Q. How do I contact Town Hall?

A. Telephone: 910-628-9766, Fax: 910-628-6025 or Email:

Q. What is the tax rate?

A. $0.73 per $100 valuation

Q. When and where are Town Board meetings held?

A. Town Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Fairmont-South Robeson Heritage. Town citizens are encouraged to attend these meetings to keep informed of town issues and to provide their own input.

Q. How do I get my water turned on?

A. In order to get water and sewer service, you must complete a Commercial or Residential Water Application. You can obtain one from the Water Department at Town Hall.

Q. How much is the utility deposit?

A. Premises must be inspected for housing code violations prior to water connection. Inspection is generated by payment of deposit. Deposit fees: homeowners—$100.00; tenants—$150.00. Businesses require a fire inspection ($50.00) before operation can begin.

Q. Will I receive my deposit back after my final utility bill?

A. The water department requires seven (7) days notice on intent to disconnect. A request can be verbal or written. Deposits are refunded upon full payment of final bill. After notification, accounts closed will have a final bill calculated and deducted from the deposit and mailed to a forwarding address or last know address.

Q. What is the due date for water bills?

A. The due date is the 10th of every month. A $10.00 late fee is added to the bill after the 10th of each month. If the bill is not paid by the 20th of each month, water will be disconnected and a nonpayment fee of $35.00 will be charged.

Q. What are the water, sewer and sanitation rates in Fairmont ?

A. $27.59 - First 1,000 Gallons Water
$36.15 - First 1,000 Gallons Sewer
$25.50 - Sanitation Charge per Household (trash plus limbs and leaves)
$89.24 - Minimum Bill

Each Additional Thousand Gallons of Water is $3.50 and each Additional Thousand Gallons of Sewer is $4.24.

Double Water and Sewer Rates for Out of Town Residents

Q. What is the schedule for trash pickup?

A. Garbage pickup is once a week on Tuesdays. Garbage should be placed in the 90-gallon container provided by Waste Management and placed outside by the street. Containers should be placed out early in the morning or the night before. If you have a broken garbage container, please call Veronica Hunt or Kaye Zumbrunnen at 910-628-9766, ext. 213 to order a replacement. Any additional items such as furniture, carpet, etc. will be added to your water bill.

Waste Management will pick up yard debris starting on Monday and finishing on Tuesday, so it is advised to have all yard debris out by Monday morning. Limbs shall not exceed 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter and must be placed in one pile at the curb or in front of residence. Limbs and leaves should not be mixed together. Leaves must be left loose, not in bags, at the curb or front of residence for the leaf vacuum machine. Private landscape companies and individuals are responsible for the disposal of yard debris they generate.

If you have any questions, suggestions or complaints about your garbage and yard debris service, please call Waste Management at 1-888-964-9730.

Q. If I am planning on constructing a new building or making an addition or alteration to an existing building in the Town, what am I required to do?

A. A Zoning Permit is required for any repairs, alterations, additions or new construction that will exceed $500 and is obtained through the Zoning Officer (Town Clerk). The Zoning Permit Application is available on the second floor of Town Hall or you can download the following: Zoning Permit Application. Once completed, the form should be returned to Town Clerk Jenny Larson for review and approval. You can reach her at 910-628-9766, ext. 217. The zoning permit costs $50. Also, be advised that the State requires a Robeson County Building Inspections permit for certain repairs and construction. You can reach the Robeson County Zoning and Planning Department by calling 910-272-6521.

Q. Where do I register to vote?

A. The Robeson County Board of Elections, 800 N. Walnut St., Lumberton , NC 28358 . Phone : 910-671-3080

Q. Where do I vote?

A. Fairmont has one precinct located in the Fire Hall behind Town Hall.

Q. Where is the library located?

A. The Hector McLean Public Library is located on the corner of Main and Thompson Streets. Contact the library at 910-628-9331 for additional information.

Q. Where is the Post Office located?

A. The Fairmont Post Office is located on the corner of Walnut and Thompson Streets. Contact the Post Office at 910-628-6778 for additional information.

Q. How do I get my power turned on?

A. Contact Duke Energy at 1-800-452-2777.

Q. How do I get my telephone hooked up?

A. Contact AT&T at 1-800-288-2020

Q. How do I get Cable TV service?

A. Contact Spectrum Cable at 910-738-1050.